Prevalence and associated factors of premature discontinuation of antiplatelet therapy after ischemic stroke: a nationwide population-based study

Seung Jae Kim, Oh Deog Kwon, Ho Chun Choi, Eung Joon Lee, Be Long Cho, Dae Hyun Yoon

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: We tried to evaluate the prevalence of premature discontinuation of antiplatelets and its affecting factors after ischemic stroke using large-sized representative national claims data. Methods: Patients aged 20 years or older with newly confirmed ischemic stroke who started aspirin or clopidogrel for the first time were selected from 2003 to 2010 National Health Insurance Service-National Sample Cohort (NHIS-NSC) of South Korea (n = 4621), a randomly collected sample which accounts for 2.2% (n = 1,017,468) of total population (n = 46,605,433). The prevalence of discontinuation of antiplatelets was measured every 6 months until the 24 months since the first prescription. Then we classified the participants into 2 groups according to the discontinuation status at 12 months and assessed the factors influencing premature discontinuation of antiplatelets within 12 months. Results: Among total participants, 35.5% (n = 1640) discontinued antiplatelets within 12 months and 58.5% (n = 2704) discontinued them within 24 months. The remaining 41.5% (n = 1917) continued them for 24 months or more. In the multivariate logistic regression analysis, initiating treatment with aspirin monotherapy [adjusted OR (aOR), 2.66, 95% CI 2.17–3.25] was the most prominent determinant of premature discontinuation within 12 months followed by CCI score ≥ 6 (aOR 1.50, 95% CI 1.31–1.98), and beginning treatment with clopidogrel monotherapy (aOR 1.41, 95% CI 1.15–1.72). Rural residency (aOR 1.36, 95% CI 1.14–1.62), < 4 total prescribed drugs (aOR 1.24, 95% CI 1.05–1.47), lower income (aOR 1.20, 95% CI 1.03–1.40 for middle income class and OR 1.21, 95% CI 1.02–1.45 for low income class), and ages ≥70 years (aOR 1.15, 95% CI 1.00–1.31) were also significantly associated with premature discontinuation of antiplatelets within 12 months. Conclusions: The prevalence of premature discontinuation of antiplatelets after ischemic stroke was quite high. Thus, by understanding factors associated with premature discontinuation, a more strategic approach is required for the physicians to improve persistence with antiplatelets.

Original languageEnglish
Article number349
JournalBMC Neurology
Volume21
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 2021
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Antiplatelet
  • Associated factors
  • Ischemic stroke
  • Premature discontinuation

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Prevalence and associated factors of premature discontinuation of antiplatelet therapy after ischemic stroke: a nationwide population-based study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this